Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Way of Arguing with God in Prayer

I am consumed away with sickness, all my bones are vexed, and my soul is in horrible fear. But, Lord, how long wilt thou thus entreat me? I am wearied for sobbing; I water my bed with tears.
Psalm 6:2, 6.
Let us imagine that David thus speaketh: O Lord, mayest thou, who ever hast taken care of me from my mother’s womb, now forget me, the workmanship of thine own hands? Mayest thou, that hast declared thyself so merciful unto me in all my tribulations, now, in the end, take thy mercies clean from me? Hast thou no pity, O Lord? Dost thou not behold that I am pined and consumed by this grievous torment, wherein not only is my tender flesh, but also my very bones, (the strongest part of the body,) so vexed, that neither is there beauty nor strength left unto me? If these anguishes occupied the body only, yet were the pain almost insufferable; but, O Lord, so horribly is my soul tormented, that albeit it be immortal, yet it so quaketh and trembleth, as if very death should devour it. And thus I sustain most grievous torments both in body and soul of so long continuance, that it appeareth unto me, thou hast forgotten to be merciful. O Lord, how long wilt thou entreat me in this manner. Hast thou forgotten thy loving mercies; or hast thou lost thy fatherly pity? I have no longer strength to cry, yea, and for sobs and groans I am so weary, that my breath faileth me; the tears of mine eyes wherewith nightly I have wet my bed, have borne witness of my unfeigned dolor; but now, my eyes are waxen dim, and my whole strength is dried up.

In all these lamentable complaints, David speaketh unto God, as he would speak to a man who was ignorant what another man suffered; whereof it may be understood how the most prudent and the most spiritual man judgeth of God in the time of trouble. Assuredly he thought that God taketh no care for him; and therefore doth he, as it were, accuse God of unmindfulness, and that he looketh not upon him with the eyes of his accustomed mercy, as clearly by these words may be espied. And yet are David’s troubles the first ground and cause why he maketh his prayers, and claimeth to be heard: not that troubles, as before is noted, are sufficient by themselves for God’s deliverance; but in recounting his dolor, David hath a secret access to God’s mercy, which he challengeth and claimeth of duty to appertain to all His, who in the time of trouble call for his support, help, and aid. And it is the same ground that Job taketh, where he saith,

“Is it profitable unto thee, that thou violently oppress me? Wilt thou despise the work of thine own hands? Thou hast formed and made me altogether; and wilt thou now devour me? Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast fashioned me as a mould, and that thou shalt bring me to dust: thou hast covered me with skin and flesh; with
sinews and bones hast thou joined me, with life and gentleness hast thou beautified me, and thy prudence hath kept my spirit.” (Job 10).

Here may be espied upon what ground these two stood in their most grievous pains. Their trouble moved them to complain, and to appeal to the great mercy of God, which, as they allege, even so is it most sure, he may deny to none that ask it: for as the trouble of his creatures is no advantage unto God, so, to deny mercy when it is asked, were to deny himself. And herein, dearly beloved, I heartily wish you to rejoice. For I can be witness, how constantly you have called for grace, in your anguishes; and your own conscience must testify, that oftentimes you have found release and comfort in such measure, that you have been bold to triumph against your adversaries, in Christ Jesus our Savior. Be nothing afraid, albeit presently you feel not your accustomed consolation. That shall hurt you no more, than the troubles of David and Job did hurt them, who in the time that they spake these former words, found no more consolation than you do now, in the most extremity of your trouble. Neither yet did they hastily obtain comfort: for David saith, “O Lord, how long wilt thou so cruelly punish me?” And yet, we know most assuredly, that they were heard, and that they obtained their own heart’s desire; as no doubt every man shall, who in time of trouble, be it spiritual or corporal, appealeth to God’s mercy alone.
-- John Knox, from "A Fort for the Afflicted in an Exposition upon the Sixth Psalm of David," etc., ( a version of which, though not the one quoted above, can be found here).

No comments: