Wednesday, May 31, 2006

500

(release the doves)

It's the 500th post! Ok that's it. That's the celebration. Everyone can go home now.
I didn't feel like blowing up balloons.

KNOPPIX SAVED MY LIFE! Ok, I'm exaggerating. But it did save me a whole lot of trouble. Windows went wiggy on me, telling me it couldn't load because of some .dll that couldn't be opened. I'm not a computer guy, see? So the only way for me to have a chance of fixing this problem, I need the internet so I can look up a solution, download the file I need, get a fix, or whatever. WELL HELLO! I CAN'T GET ON THE NET WITHOUT MY OPERATING SYSTEM OPENING. Then I remembered that a buddy of mine gave me a KNOPPIX cd a while back. So, I set my BIOS to load my CD-ROM drive first, stuck in the disk, and in a few minutes, my computer was running, but not on Windows. Knoppix is like Linux, but you use it from your CD-ROM drive, not your hard drive, so you don't have to reformat ANYTHING. I played around a bit to find out how to get hooked up to the internet, badabing, a few clicks here and there, danga da danga da dang, and got the problem fixed. NO FILES LOST.

So, I recommend to everyone to download Knoppix, burn a disk, and at the very least keep it around for emergencies.

Here's your assignment: Give us a helpful link, one you use often, or that comes in handy in a pinch, or is just something we should all look at. I give you KNOPPIX.net.

No comments: