Friday, November 11, 2005

This week in review

I sure don't seem to have the time I used to. Between work, family life, and working out, I just don't have the time to write stuff much anymore. Maybe in a way that's good. My "Christianity," as I practiced it for a couple years, helped me to grow out of shape and wise in my own eyes. Now, after some difficult but necessary life lessons, I'm less apt to think I got something you people need to hear, and I stopped just sitting around pigging out. I'm much less quiet, but way more active, now. Anyway, this week is interesting to me for a few reasons.

First, Tuesday was election day. In Dover, PA., a somewhat local town (York County), the folks decided that "Intelligent Design," a watered down compromise stopping far too short of Biblical Creationism, was intolerable and ought not to be suggested to our children. Every school counsel member that was up for re-election that supported Intelligent Design was voted out, in favor of people who promised to offer only Ignorant Design (evolution) to the children in the Dover School District. Pat Robertson offers this in response: "If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city, and don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin."

And, just to clarify what he meant, Robertson explained, "I was simply stating that our spiritual actions have consequences and it's high time we started recognizing it. God is tolerant and loving, but we can't keep sticking our finger in his eye forever. If they have future problems in Dover, I recommend they call on Charles Darwin ... maybe he can help them."

Let's just quit kidding around. Schools need to adopt a statement like the following before I will beging taking them seriously:

"... as God, from the infinity of his being and goodness, has communicated a finite created existence to all other beings, framing them with natures wisely suited and adapted to the different ends of their creation; so by the same all-powerful word whereby they were at first created, he preserves and upholds all his creatures in their beings, and by the incessant care and invariable conduct of his divine providence, does constantly direct and overrule them, and all their actions unto his own glory; according to divine revelation; Gen. 1, throughout; Col. 1:16; Rom. 11:36; Psal. 145:17, and 33:9; and 119:91; Heb. 1:2,3; Confess. chap. 4,5; larger Cat. quest. 11; short Cat. quest. 8." -- Act, Declaration, and Testimony for the Whole of Our Covenanted Reformation.

Second, yesterday, November 10th, was Martin Luther's birthday. May God send another man like this to thunder and to shake the world to Reformation.

Third, yesterday, November 10th, was the 30 year anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The 729-foot long 13,632 ton freighter was caught in an awful storm, and it, along with 29 men, sank in Lake Superior. It is my understanding that not one body was ever recovered.

"'Superior,' they said,
'never gives up her dead
when the gales of November come early.'"
~Gordon Lightfoot.

No comments: