Tuesday, November 16, 2004

BIOSfear

I got my computer working, which I'm happy about. But while I was looking for possible solutions to the problems I was having it occurred to me that perhaps I should upgrade my BIOS. So, I went to the BIOS people's website, and completed a form to get the BIOS upgrade. I just figured they would ask me some information and then I could download what I was looking for. But that's not the way it worked. I ended up getting an email telling me that my BIOS upgrade was waiting for me, but I had to call their toll-free phone number to complete the transaction. So I called, and was informed that they could mail me the upgrade for $50. I passed, not having a spare $50 to spend on something that sounds so strange as BIOS. A few days after the phone call, I received the following email:

Gerald,
This is the last chance to update your BIOS at this special price offer. So upgrade today......

It has been a few days since we received your BIOS upgrade request online. Due to customer demand, we have decided to offer the new BIOS upgrades via an e-mail download.

eSupport.com is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for Award BIOS. For the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands of motherboards and developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest technology.

Based on the technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your motherboard. The price is only $24.95 (U.S).

To view your system details that you had previously submitted, click here: View My System Details


The most notable features are:

*

Hard Drive Support up to 512GB* (48-bit Technology)
*

Windows XP Compliance for SP1 & SP2 (service pack)
*

Windows 2000 Compliance for SP3 & SP4 (service pack)
*

Windows ACPI 2.0* Compliance
*

Faster Intel and AMD CPU Upgrade Kit Support
*

Faster Input Output Speeds
*

Virtual technical support assistance
*

100 % Satisfaction Guarantee
*

Facts You Should Know About eSupport.com

*not available for all PCs

We will email you with a link to download the latest Award BIOS upgrade for your specific system. The file to download will be a zip file (>500 K) that includes the binary, the necessary flash loader, and easy installation instructions. Plus, you'll have access to hundreds of BIOS FAQs online, and free e-mail based technical support. Telephone technical support is not available.

The price for this service is $24.95 (U.S.). You can place this order through our SECURE website.


Here is the response I sent back to Dennis:

Dear Dennis,

I would very much like to upgrade my BIOS, however, I must say that I am greatly offended at what you are calling a "special offer." Here's how I see it: This special offer is a result of my turning down the original offer, which original offer was made knowing full well that a "special offer" can be made to those who reject the original offer. In other words, your company tried to sucker me into paying $50, for something you readily offer for $25. When I chose not to pay $50, you now come to me with the very insulting offer of $25.

How about this for an offer:

Since your original offer was an attempt to rip me off for an extra $25, you should pay recompense. I'd be happy to accept $25 from you, along with an apology, for your attempt to rob me of $25, and then we can call it even.

Come to think of it, how about you keep the $25, send me the BIOS upgrade for free, along with the apology, and we can part on friendly terms.

Hurry, this is your last chance! This offer won't last long!

Thanks in advance.

Gerald.

Let's see how that flies.

No comments: