Thursday, March 31, 2005

Disappointment

At the risk of sounding very petty, I'm still quite disappointed at the number of pushups I can muster at one time. We did pushups tonight in class, and I left feeling like a girl. After weeks of working specifically on pushups, I'm a girly little girl.

On a far more fearfully serious note, my heart sank at the news of Mrs. Schiavo's death today. It caused me to look at my Shorter Catechism, and something stuck hard:

Q67: Which is the Sixth Commandment?
A67: The Sixth Commandment is, Thou shalt not kill.

Q68: What is required in the Sixth Commandment?
A68: The Sixth Commandment requireth all lawful endeavours to preserve our own life,[*] and the life of others.

* The proof text for perserving the life of others?

"So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church," (Eph. 5:28-29).

As far as our wicked judges, who have used their power to ensure the death of the helpless, I'm reminded of...

Psalm 82
A Psalm of Asaph


1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

No comments: