Saturday, April 16, 2005

Sometimes sore is good, and so are donuts.

I woke up sore this morning... sore in my back, shoulders, chest, hamstrings... but it's a good sore. Yesterday I did over 100 pushups, before noon, in sets of 20, 15, and 10. For those of you who may not have been following my pushup drama, I'm not claiming I did something amazing yesterday. I'm admitting I'm a wimp, trying to do more and more pushups gradually. Just a few weeks ago, it would have taken me until 9pm to do that many pushups in one day. Yesterday, 100+ before noon... and then I went to Karate class last night. There's a big tournament today, and last night was another class prepping the people that are competing. I'm not competing, but I'm thinking eventually I might consider competing in a future event. To prepare people for competing, we've been having mini-tournament type things in class, and I've consistantly been "winning" in kata. I love doing kata. Anywho, I noticed Mike Reeves, a Guinness Book World Record holder, hanging around the dojo. Man his arms were huge. That's the kind of guy who attacking him would be like attacking yourself. If I threw a punch at him, you know what would hurt? My arm (from his bone-breaking block), my chest and face (from his counter-punching), and whatever else he decided I didn't need to use anymore. So, I decided not to punch him.

Speaking of punching people, I read a very good article discussing the difference between fighting and self-defence, something even many "martial artists" don't seem to understand. There is some spicy language in the article, so if that ain't your bag, leave it be:

The Difference Between Fighting and Self-Defense
.

I sent my wife for donuts this morning and she's still not back. I'm hungry. Last night we got a bottle of Riesling and polished that off... yummy. Friskiness ensued, but I'm not getting into that here.

What did we get in the mail this week? A flimsy, too small, Gi that I (shouldn't have) bought on Ebay, and Christopher Love's Treatise on Effectual Calling (which we're looking forward to starting tomorrow).

No comments: