Thursday, April 21, 2005

Stress and release.

Let me tell you, work has been SO stressful lately. I'm at risk of burning out. I went to Karate class this morning, and it was FUN. We did some work with tonfa, also called tuifa.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Besides being just plain fun, coupled with a high coolness factor, learning to fight with a short stick can come in handy someday (ever notice that the cops carry something like a tonfa?), and working with them strengthens the grip, and therefore the empty-handed fist. Then I spent some time re-learning Chinto, I kata that I haven't done in it's entirety in probably 15 years. Chinto is one of the fancier looking kata's in Isshinryu -- everything's on an angle, X-blocks, moves involving some spinning, and even a jumping double-fake kick (not nearly as goofy as the Karate Kid's "Crane Kick", but the same concept of faking with one and simultaneously kicking with the other). Anyway, a very stress-less time that I'm thankful for. I go to work later today, and will no doubt enter into that serenity vs. insanity battle yet again. Maybe I'll bring my tonfa to work with me.

No comments: