Sunday, June 05, 2005

God Keep Me from Temptation

We should be very solicitous lest we should be drawn into temptation and, therefore, we are taught to pray, Lead us not into temptation, as well as Forgive us our trespasses. True, God keeps me from such and such sins, but what if God should leave me to temptation? What a wretched creature I would be if ever this corupt heart of mind should prevail against me! I have cause to fear because I find such wickedness boiling and bubbling up. I find such proneness to such and such sins. If the Lord is not infinitely merciful to me, I shall break out to the dishonor of His name, the scandal of religion, and the wounding of my conscience, and this, God knows, causes the most solicitous care I ever had lest my heart should break out against God to the scandal of that holy profession I have taken upon me.

Oh, is it thus with you? Oh, this would be a happy thing, indeed!
~~ Jeremiah Burroughs, The Evil of Evils, chapter 67.

No comments: