Tuesday, June 21, 2005

When is a test not a test?

I went to Karate last night, which I seldom do on a Monday night. Well, they were testing the lower belts, and I was asked if I wanted to join them -- join them as in go through the rigors of the test, but it's not my test. I figured, that would be good practice, so I agreed. Well, I got through the pushups, the tricep dips, and in a much more labored effort, the situps. Then came sitting at the wall.

Try this. Lean your back against a wall, with your legs together. Then slide down the wall until your legs are making a 90 degree angle at your knees, as if you're sitting in a chair that's not there. Now, stay there... for 2 1/2 minutes. Well, I didn't make it to 2 1/2, but collapsed at about 1 1/2 minutes. Next, back up against the wall, this time, legs apart... again, I'm on the floor at about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. So, I failed the test, but it wasn't my test, just a dry run. I think that was helpful, because now I know what I need to prepare for next week when it's for real. That's just the physical stuff, I have to demonstrate my ability to remember and perform the techniques as well, of course.

Hey, remember back in the 1970's when we were all scared of killer bees? Ever wonder where they got to?

No comments: