Saturday, June 19, 2004

Pipes are way better than Cigars


I was told by a formerly trusted friend that though smoking a pipe may smell better, smoking a cigar actually tastes better. This man is clearly a liar (and you know where liars go!). A while back I tried some Dutch Masters, a very cheap and nasty cigar, with which I was thoroughly unimpressed. After smoking them, I was left wondering what pleasure anyone ever gets with cigars. Well, figuring that Dutch Masters were not likely what most cigar buffs might call "good" (as Pilgrimish as the guys on the box do appear), I thought I'd give cigars another try. So, I went to my local pipe shop and asked for a relatively less-expensive, yet still good, cigar. He gave me a Helix for $3.50. Well, I finally got around to trying it last night. At first, it was nice...though the smell is far more offensive than a nice aromatic pipe tobacco, but I could see why some take pleasure in a cigar. Towards the middle of the cigar I started to... well... buzz. It started out as a feeling of relaxation, like I could just sit here on the porch all night long because nothing bothers me right now. But near the end of the cigar, I started feeling dizzy. After finishing the cigar, I was flat out seasick. I turned green, was nauseous, and sweating like a... something that sweats alot. I stumble upstairs and took a shower, and then crashed, naked and wet, on the bed. I kept thinking to myself, "Oh no! I'm Noah! I'm Noah!" After a few minutes of laying there praying for death or relief, I somehow made it down the stairs without falling and we had family worship... very slowly, no fast movements, stop turning those pages so loudly! It took about 2 hours to recover. Ok, so much for cigars. I suppose I could do what the tobacconist said, which is to go back and tell him if I need a more mild cigar, but for now, I'll stick to my pipe and Brazilian Cavendish, thank you.

In other news: Been working on my sidebar. You dig?

No comments: