Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Hand me downs

I guess at some point back in the day, folks used to store things up on the wall, way up high, so far up that they needed help reaching things. This is evidenced by several songs where the protagonist is asking for his woman to get something down off the wall for him, because things have become intolerable. There are several variations of the blues song "Look on Yonders Wall" (or "Look on Yonder Wall") floating around out there. The items in question appear to be useful things, such as walking canes: "Look on yonder wall, hand me down my walking cane" (Look on Yonder Wall, as sung by Elmore James). Other times a hat is also included: "Hand me down my walking cane, hand me down my hat" (Rubberband Man, as performed by the Spinners). Sometimes it's a gun that's requested: "Look on the wall, baby, hand me down my shootin' iron" (Boot Hill as performed by Stevie Ray Vaughan). Of course, let's not leave out the bathtub hooch: "Hand me down, hand me down my moonshine" (Luther Allison). Well now, I've certainly sometimes felt so fed up with things that I'd like to tell my wife to hand me down something, but we just don't have these kinds of things on the walls. What am I gonna say? "Look on yonder wall, hand me down my... little ceramic monkey that we got free with that box of Red Rose tea." That's not doing it. Not only that, I'm 6' 1'' and my wife's nearly a full foot shorter than I am. She ain't gonna be handing me down anything! Oh well, so much for the days of short men and the things they hung on the wall.

No comments: