Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Let's get one thing straight...

Gymnastics is NOT a sport. Now stop your chirping and listen to me. I'm not saying it isn't athletic, and I'm not saying that it isn't difficult. I'm saying it isn't a sport. If there is music and a "dance element" to your activity, that activity is not a sport. If the "winner" of your activity is arbitrarily determined by judges whose job it is to figure out who did the best out of several identical performances, it's not a sport. A sport should be clear cut. Who can get to that line first? Who can score the most points, where doing a specific act earns you points? Who can lift the heaviest weight? This stuff is what sports is about, not muscular guys and gals prancing around in liatards, with announcers talking about how fired up the crowd is because of the music that was selected. That's some kind of queer party, not a sport. Having said that, I can't do any of that stuff they're doing. I'd pull a hammy or something. Oh, and here's to Canada's gold medal in... what was it in? Oh, well. I guess the Winter Games are what's important there. Speaking of which...
Figure skating is NOT a sport.

No comments: