Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Knox's Dying Words

Excerpted from The Death of John Knox by Samuel Clarke.

In my life I have been often assaulted by Satan, and many times he hath cast in my teeth my sins, to bring me to despair; yet God enabled me to overcome all his temptations: and now that subtile Serpent who never easeth to tempt, hath taken another course, and seeks to preswade me that my labours in the Ministry, and the fidelity I have shewn in that service, hath merited Heaven and immortality: but blessed be God that brought to my mind these Scriptures. What hast thou, that thou hast not received? And, Not I, but the Grace of God in me: with which he is gone away ashamed, and shall no more return. And now I am sure that my Battel is at an end; and that without pain of Body, or trouble of Spirit, I shall shortly change this mortal and miserable Life, with that happy and immortal Life which shall never have an end.

To which Clarke adds, "Prayers being ended; he was asked, if he heard them? he answered, would to God you had heard them with such an ear and heart as I have done. Adding; Lord, Jesus receive my Spirit. After which words without any motion of hands or feet, as one falling a sleep rather than dying, he ended his Life."

No comments: