Saturday, July 03, 2004

Gone Fishing


We went fishing today. The family, the whole... kids. I'm not sure why exactly, but there's something profoundly enjoyable about just sitting there, thinking, smoking a pipe, relaxing.... don't fall asleep now... gotta keep an eye on your bobber... even if you don't catch anything (and we didn't). Now, re-rigging each kid's line every 3 seconds is not all that relaxing, but there was still something enjoyable about it. We went to Memorial Lake, at Fort Indiantown Gap. We all felt so "homeland secure" fishing near the Army base, knowing that those low-flying black helicopters, spotted the past few days flying all over Lebanon County, flying just above, and apparently following, the telephone wires, are looking out for us, the American people, so we can enjoy our fishing freedoms, safe from the terrorists that hate our country because we are free to fish.

We also heard a bullfrog, saw a turtle, and encountered the bunny. I did see a guy in a boat catch a fish, proving that the lake did indeed contain fish. He threw it back. Threw it back! I don't care how small it is, I don't care if it's poisonous, or whatever, if we catch it, we eatin' it. I know some people throw them back thinking it's cruel to catch them and keep them. But I figure it's more cruel to rip their lips off with a hook, only to throw them back to have the same thing happen later. You caught it, you got what you came here for, now take it home and eat it. Well, I'd write more, but I need to go fix some bikes. I am a dad, you know.

No comments: