Monday, July 19, 2004

Remember these guys? Good. Hold that thought.

Saturday night into Lord's Day morning was another nearly sleepless night. It was a real struggle to get up in the morning and make a profitable Sabbath. But alas, we did what we could. During our morning worship, the phone rang, or beeped rather (remember when phones used to actually ring? and when "don't touch that dial" actually had literal meaning?) Most of our friends and family know enough to avoid calling us on the Lord's Day, so my wife and I did this thing where we look at each other like "what the ???" and then we both thought "maybe it's an emergency!" So I jumped up and got the phone. It was these guys. Remember them? The gentleman said, "Hi Jerry, remember me from Old Country Buffet? We're thinking of coming over for you worship service." Hold on now! Three problems:

1. A family of 13 shouldn't just be inviting themselves ANYWHERE by saying "hey, we'll be there in a half-hour."

2. We just had a baby, and we're not getting any sleep, we're not quite up for 11 more children just yet.

3. There are people that I am like-minded with, and others who I am just an inch away from being like-minded with, who I am not currently worshipping with for various reasons (which I hope to be rectified soon), so I am NOT going to invite a family over for worship who are likely some stripe of anabaptist, and who though enough about Calvinism to warn me against it! Maybe we can be friends of some sort, or something like that. But terms of friendship and terms of communion are not one and the same!

This has renewed my vigor to rectify those things which have forced me within my own home for worship on Lord's Days for well over a year now. That's enough.

No comments: