Monday, February 28, 2005

I'm almost a girl, huh? Say it to my face!





Your Brain is 40.00% Female, 60.00% Male



You have a total boy brain

Logical and detailed, you tend to look at the facts

And while your emotions do sway you sometimes...

You never like to get feelings too involved



Ok, so I guess if I'm not sitting my fat lazy rear on the couch, biting into a double-bacon cheeseburger as the grease drips down on to my belly, staining my already stained wife-beater style t-shirt, I'm almost half-a-girl?

In other news...

In my quest to get into some kind of acceptable state of fitness, my body continues to be a bit sore, but as I continue to workout, it's less of an injury "I can't move my leg" kind of sore, and more like a "I'm sore, and that feels GOOD" kind of sore. I'm quite pleased with how much of my Katas I remember after 15 or so years.

For the uninformed, a kata is kind of like Catechism, but for Karate. Katachism. The Catechism is a form of sound words that the student is to memorize word for word... even if they don't have complete or total understanding into all the nuances contained therein. Kata is the same way, but for Karate. Kata means "form." It is a serious of moves put together to teach balance, power, technique, and such things. The katas are memorized and performed exactly as they are taught. Here's a fantastic example of Wansu Kata, if you're interested and have the patience to wait for a download. Of course no actual fight looks like that, but that's not the point. There is self defense in the kata, but you have to be able to apply it. Consider it this way: Learning the moves of the kata is like KNOWLEDGE. Knowing the application of those moves is like UNDERSTANDING. Being able to pull out those techniques when they are needed, in less then perfect circumstances, when your caught by suprise or when your off balance, or when you don't have room to get into a strong stance, etc., is like WISDOM. If you want pure fighting, without learning a system, without bothering with katas, go learn Krav Maga or something.

Now, as I was saying, I'm quite pleased to have remembered Seisan, Seiunchin, Nahanchi, and Wansu kata in their entireties, and I'm quickly remembering Tokumine No Kun every time we practice it (see the late Tatsuo Shimabuku performing this kata here). Kata is fun, and good exercise.

What I'm not pleased with is my poor conditioning. I'm a bit of a weakling by nature, and I have alot of work to do in the push-up, sit-up, type things.

I'm proud of my boy Cole. He has some problems, you see -- namely social anxiety and facial tics. As I watch him in his class, there are times where he appears to be very frustrated because of having difficulty following what the class is doing. But you know what? Instead of turning around and walking out, he sticks with it. And he always says at the end of the class that he had alot of fun and learned some cool things. Yes! I'm happy to see the boy finding some success and reward in persevering in adversity.

Sorry for blagging so much about Karate and stuff. I'm sure many of you could care less about it. But hey, it's my blog and I'll kiai if I want to!

We're waiting for another decent snow storm today. I'm wondering if I'll end up getting stuck at work tonight... not because I can't make it home, but because some sissies won't be able to make it in for the night shift. Oh, well.

I leave you today with a section of the Heidelberg Catechism that we read together yesterday, at the end of the section on the Ten Commandments:

~~~~~~~~~~

Q. 114. But can those who are converted to God perfectly keep these commandments?

A. No: but even the holiest men, while in this life, have only a small beginning of this obedience;(a) yet so, that with a sincere resolution they begin to live, not only according to some, but all the commandments of God.(b)

(a) 1 John 1:8-10; Rom.7:14,15; Eccl.7:20; 1 Cor.13:9. (b) Rom.7:22; Ps.1:2; James 2:10.

Q. 115. Why will God then have the ten commandments so strictly preached, since no man in this life can keep them?

A. First, that all our lifetime we may learn more and more to know(a) our sinful nature, and thus become the more earnest in seeking the remission of sin, and righteousness in Christ;(b) likewise, that we constantly endeavour and pray to God for the grace of the Holy Spirit, that we may become more and more conformable to the image of God, till we arrive at the perfection proposed to us, in a life to come.(c)

(a) Rom.3:20; 1 John 1:9; Ps.32:5. (b) Matt.5:6; Rom.7:24,25. (c) 1 Cor.9:24; Philip.3:11-14.
~~~~~~~~~~

Good day, all!

No comments: